THE perfect summertime meal…
[Original recipe: Greek Orzo and Grilled Shrimp Salad]
- 3/4 lbs orzo, cooked al dente [this is the perfect amount]
- 1 large cucumber, seeded, quartered lengthwise, and sliced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill, plus extra for garnish
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus additional for cooking chicken
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 pound feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 chicken breasts
- Combine orzo, cucumber, green onions, and tomatoes in a large bowl.
- Place dill, vinegar, and mustard in a blender and blend until smooth. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil and blend until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour almost all of the vinaigrette over the orzo mixture and stir well to combine. Save the last 1/4 for right before you serve the salad. [it always seems like too much dressing but its the perfect amount because the pasta sucks up a lot of it]
- Gently fold in the feta cheese.
- I use the flash frozen Trader Joe’s chicken so here’s what i do: Heat pan to high. Put breasts in pan, season with salt and pepper and add a bit of broth and cover for a bit. Let the breasts cook/thaw in there for a couple minutes, then remove the lid, flip chicken and cook off the broth. Continue flipping chicken until done.
- If using thawed chicken breasts, cook however you would like [Grilling would be yummy]
- Add chicken to the orzo mixture, add last bit of dressing and serve chilled.
tags: June, Fourth of July, August, Picnic, Meals to beat the heat, Summer Grilling, Summer Veggies, Ways to use up Cucumbers, Pasta Salad, Fresh Dill, barbeque Food, Dinner, Lunch, Snack,