…a nice warm soup for a cold rainy day…
(picture to come)
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 Stalks of celery (or some celeriac)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons curry paste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric (bit less)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (aleppo)
- 1 teaspoon salt (kosher)
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger root, minced
- 1 (14.25 ounce) can tomato puree (14.5 stewed tomatoes)
1. In a large skillet or saucepan, caramelize the onions in vegetable oil, (we had some celeriac from the farm so we added that to this step too)
2. While the onions are cooking, combine the curry paste, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, salt, sugar, garlic, and ginger in a mixing bowl. Mix well. When the onions are cooked, add the curry mixture to the onions and cook over a high heat stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Add uncooked lentils and stir for 1 minute, then add 3-4 cups of water.
4. Stir in the tomato puree and reduce heat and simmer till ready.