Every summer we’d have the option of getting fennel as part of our farm share and every year i tried to do different things with it but i never really liked anything i made. This recipe changed everything. (thank you Kathy)
- Olive oil or butter for pan
- 1 Fennel Bulb, chopped
- 1 Medium Onion, diced [i always opt for the sweet onions]
- 2 Cloves Garlic, diced
- 1/4 C White Wine
- 1 Lemon (zest too)
- A hand full of Sweet Cherry Tomatoes – whole
- 1 lb of pasta [i like to use a rotini]
- Put your pasta water on and cook it how you like it. (use really salted water for the best flavor)
- In a large frying pan, saute the fennel and onion on med low heat in olive oil or butter until the onion becomes translucent and some of the onions start browning. (the browned stuff that sticks to the bottom of the pan is what makes this dish soooo yummy)
- Add garlic and saute for a minute
- Add white Wine, making sure to scrape up browned bits from the bottom of the pan into the wine and cook until the wine is almost gone.
- Add juice of one lemon, the zest of that lemon, as well as the tomatoes. (you can do 1/2 lemon if you’re not lemon crazy like me)
- Cook a minute or two.
- Turn off heat, Add pasta and season with salt and pepper. (you prob. wont use much salt if you used salted water to cook the pasta).
- Serve with parmesan cheese.
(Im told that shrimp is excellent in this recipe as well. )