yep…. made with real tomatoes straight from the farm. But note, the goodness of this soup depends greatly on the yumminess of the tomatoes. Also, this recipe is best when you puree the soup at the end. I use a food processor but i’m sure a blender would be fine too.
(this recipe makes enough for 3 big bowls of soup)
- Butter & Olive Oil for the pan
- 1 Onion, diced
- about 3 – 4 large Tomatoes, rough chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 2 Cups Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 White Wine
- Basil (to taste)
- Cream (to taste)
- Turn heat till to medium and coat the bottom of a large bottom pan with Olive Oil and Butter. [I like the surface area of my 14 inch saute pan so that more onions can stick to the bottom which = more flavor]
- Add onion and cook down until they start browning to the bottom
- Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds
- Stir in tomatoes and cook for about 3-5 minutes [until they fall apart a bit]
- Add wine and stock and turn down to low. Simmer for 20 minutes and taste. [If you want more flavor, let it go longer. Just keep on tasting and cooking until you are happy. My batch just went for 40 minutes]
- When you like the taste, put basil and soup into food processor and blend.
- Add cream to taste.