[pic to come]
I’ve never loved caramel but i’ve been craving it lately and this recipe totally came through. Heres what i learned and did…. (and what i will be doing again once i run out). (original recipe from a fabulous food blog called smittenkitchen.com)
(Makes about 1 1/3 cups)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 ounces (6 tablespoons) salted butter, the better you can get, the better it will taste
- 1/2 cup plus two tablespoons heavy cream, at room temperature
- Melt the sugar over medium to moderately high heat in a larger pot than you think you’ll need–at least two or three quarts, whisking or stirring the sugar as it melts to ensure it heats evenly.Cook the liquefied sugar to a nice, dark copper color.
- Add the butter all at once and stir it in, before turning off the stove and pour in the heavy cream (The sauce will foam up quite a bit when you add it; this is why you want the larger pot.), whisking it until you get a smooth sauce.
- You use it right away or pour it into a jar and store it in the fridge for up to two weeks. When you take it out, it will likely have thickened a bit but 60 seconds in the microwave brings it right back to pouring consistency.
- Serve over everything.