We went to this dinner/cooking class thing a couple years ago and the lady showed us how to make these simple little cakes. I’m still making them.
- 4 squares of good bittersweet chocolate
- 1 stick of butter [I can never bring myself to use that much so i use lesser amounts]
- 2 eggs plus the yolk of 2 additional eggs [I also cant waste those 2 extra whites so i use three eggs total]
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
1. Butter and lightly flour about 6 small ramekins. Tap out the excess flour.
2. Preheat the oven to 450 if you are going to serve soon.
3. Over a double boiler (or in the oven or on the stove top) place 4 squares of good bittersweet chocolate and a stick of butter until the chocolate is almost melted.
4. Meanwhile beat 2 eggs and 2 egg yolks together with a quarter cup of sugar until light yellow and thick.
5. Stir melted chocolate and butter together and while it is still warm pour into the egg yolk mixture and then quickly beat in 2 tbsp. flour.
6. Divide batter amongst the molds.
7. At this point you can refrigerate them for several hours. Bring to room temp before baking. Bake molds on a tray for 12 minutes only. The center will be quite soft but the sides will be set. Unmold by inverting on a plate. The cake will fall out. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream
good to know: +I lost some ramekins so i use one small bowl for the entire amount of batter and cooked it for 15 minutes or so.