[pic to come]
This is the exact opposite of what I grew up with… these little beauties are a light, fluffy, almost not there puff that holds your sweet summer strawberries and cream. (Also, they’re quick to make!) Up until I had these, there was no comparison to my Grandmothers dense (and lovely) shortcake, but I have officially changed my mind. Ready, go.
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Butter [I used salted butter and i also cut it a bit and used 6 T instead of the 8 it calls for]
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 4 Eggs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a medium saucepan combine water, butter, and salt. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat.
- Add the flour all at once, stirring vigorously. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball and does not stick to sides of pan.
- Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well with a wooden spoon after each addition.
- Drop 8 mounds of dough onto a greased baking sheet, swirling the top.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden. (If you need to, you can cut slits into the sides of each pastry, then cook for another 10 minutes…. I didn’t need to)
- Transfer cream puffs to a wire rack to cool.