Ice Cream Sandwiches with homemade cookies. booya.
These are pretty plain cookies…. perfect for a crazy ice cream to be the main event. However, it might be better to use a realllly good cocoa powder to get them more chocolate-y…. or shredded coconut…. or cinnamon?
(based on a recipe from here.)
- 4 T Butter
- 1/4 Cup Veg Oil [I used Coconut Oil and it was great]
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar(decreased from 1 C because I used sweetened Cocoa Powder)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa Powder (used Ghiradelli sweetened)
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- ice cream
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter, vegetable oil and brown sugar. Beat on medium speed until combined.
- Blend in the eggs one at a time, and the vanilla extract until smooth.
- In a separate bowl combine the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt; whisk to blend.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients and mix just until incorporated and a soft dough forms. Gather the dough into a disc, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough to about ¼-inch thick. Use a cookie cutter (or the top of a drinking glass) to cut out as many pieces as you can, transferring the cut outs to the prepared baking sheet. Gather and re-roll the dough scraps as needed. If desired, use a wooden skewer to make a dotted pattern on the cookies. Bake 8-10 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To assemble the sandwiches, use the same cookie cutter that was used for the cookies to cut out pieces of ice cream. Layer one piece of ice cream between two of the cookies and return to the freezer immediately. Wrap the sandwiches individually as desired. Keep frozen until ready to serve.