Hands down, the best ice cream i’ve ever had… probably because it tastes nothing like ice cream…. more like frozen mousse. And the best part is you dont need an ice cream maker!!
(I believe my friend got it from a cooking magazine … Cooks Illustrated i think.)
- 1 tsp Instant Coffee or Espresso Powder
- 1 T Hot Water
- 4 oz Bittersweet Chocolate , chopped fine [I used Ghiradelli 60% Dark Chocolate Chips]
- 1/2 Cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Pinch Salt
- 1 1/4 Cups Heavy Cream , cold
1. MELT CHOCOLATE BASE Combine instant coffee (or espresso powder) with hot water in small microwavable bowl. Let stand until coffee dissolves, about 5 minutes. To that bowl add chocolate & sweetened condensed milk, and place in microwave. Stir every 10 seconds until chocolate is melted (about 1 minute). Stir in vanilla and salt. Let cool.
2. MIX AND FREEZE. Pour cream into a cold metal bowl. With electric mixer on medium-high speed, whip cream to soft peaks, about 2 minutes. Whisk one-third of whipped cream into chocolate mixture. Fold remaining whipped cream into chocolate mixture until incorporated. Freeze in airtight container until firm, at least 6 hours or up to 2 weeks. Serve. [I put mine in our deep freezer and it took only 4 hours to freeze]