Down with salads…. lets make soup! This is actually a summer recipe that I didn’t get a chance to post back when i wasn’t wearing a scarf to bed. You know… the good ole days.
(original recipe from here)
- 1 3/4 pound seedless cucumbers – peeled and cut in 3” pieces (or 2lbs regular cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut in 3″ pieces)
- 1/4 medium red onion – skinned
- 1 garlic clove – skinned
- 1 jalapeño – stem removed, halved and seeded
- 8 large mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1, 6 ounce non-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup spring water to taste
- 1 medium yellow tomato – seeded and cut in 1/8” cubes (or 8 yellow grape tomatoes quartered) as garnish
- tiny mint leaves as garnish
- lemon oil as garnish [I didnt use this]
- Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor with 1/2 cup of the spring water. Pulse a few times so the ingredients are coarsely chopped, then process until soup is very smooth, about 2 to 3 minutes. If necessary, thin with the remaining water to the desired consistency.
- Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight, until well chilled. Place the soup in the freezer for 30 minutes before serving.
- Ladle soup in chilled soup bowls or cocktail glasses. Drizzle a little lemon oil in the center of each bowl. Garnish with a few tomato cubes, a mint leaf and serve immediately.
tags: Side dish, Dinner, Lunch, Alternatives to bread, july, august, veggie soups