Okay. I don’t like Beef stew. There. I said it. I realize I’m the only one on Earth but thats just how it is. Its boring to me.
My husband, on the other hand, does not share my opinion… SO we changed it up in a curry/kale-ish sort of way to see if a beef stew could ever make me happy. And I’ll admit, this one was worth writing down.
(and yea yea, theres tons of ingredients, but its worth it )
- 5 oz Chopped Pancetta
- 1 lb Stew Meat
- Coconut Oil (for pan)
- 2 Onions, chopped fine
- 2 Head of Garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1tsp Sugar
- 2T Curry Powder
- 5 Carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small Celeriac, peeled and chopped
- 5 Parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 Can peeled Plum Tomatoes
- 2 T Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 T Ginger, grated [we use our zester for this]
- 3 Cups Veg Broth
- A large handful of Kale, centers removed and chopped fine
- 1/4 Can Coconut Milk (this is optional. My husband like this but i didn’t. You can decide)
- Cilantro as a garnish
- In a very large stock pot, saute the Pancetta. Remove when done.
- Brown the stew meat on med high in the remaining fat from the pancetta. Add a bit more oil if you need to [we used coconut oil] Remove when done browning.
- Put onions and garlic in the pan with the sugar and caramelize. When they’re almost ready, Add 1 T of coconut oil and about 2 T curry powder to the center of the pan and cook until fragrant. [Be careful not to burn! You just want to toast it a bit.]
- Add carrotts, celeriac and parsnips. Stir them into the curry and let them cook for 2 min or so.
- Add the entire can of tomatoes with liquid, 2T of apple cider vinegar, 1 T fresh grated ginger and 3 Cups of vegetable broth.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, turn to low and cook for 2 hours.
- Add kale and cook for 20 more minutes.
- Lastly, add coconut milk [if using] and cilantro to garnish each bowl.