Theres a big time brussel sprout situation happening over here. I seriously cant get enough of them. I roast them with maple syrup. I food process the hell out of them, mix in kale and saute with pancetta… and now THIS.
The recipe originates from food52 but I made it based on what i had available.
[pic to come]
[my version served 2 adults with a tiny bit of leftover. The food52 version serves 6]
- about 6 large brussel sprouts
- as much onion as you want – sliced thin. [I’ve never once enjoyed an onion on a salad before this one. See why below]
- 1 tsp Honey
- 1 tsp Whole Grain Mustard
- 1 T Olive Oil
- 1/2 Lemon zested first and then juiced
- Salt and Pepper
- shaved pecorino [if you have it… we didn’t and the salad was still great]
- Soak the chopped onion in a bowl of water for 20 minutes while you prepare all the other ingredients
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, honey, mustard and a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil until the dressing is emulsified. Set aside.
- Trim all of the Brussels sprouts, cutting off any bruised outer leaves and slicing off a good portion of the hard root end. Using a food processor pulse the brussels until chopped or shave on a mandoline, one at a time.
- Drain the onions, put the sprouts in a serving bowl and toss gently with the onions and the dressing. Fold in the pecorino, taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve immediately, before it starts to wilt!