Basic. Easy. Awesome. I did cut down on the sugar (imagine that) and i feel like its perfect…. not cake and not plain bread. Y.u.m.
(Original from here)
(Makes one 8 inch cake or a dozen muffins)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar [original recipe said 2/3]
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup oil [we used Safflower Oil – next time try Coconut Oil]
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease 8-inch square baking pan or cast iron skillet. [ARG! My skillets are too large and too small so i used an 8 inch pyrex. Not nearly as exciting as an iron skillet.]
- Combine flour, sugar, corn meal, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Combine milk, eggs, oil and butter in small bowl and mix well. Add to flour mixture and stir just until blended.
- Pour into baking pan or skillet. Bake for 35 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean.
- Cover in homemade butter and you are the happiest person alive.
(For corn muffins, spoon batter into muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans.)