Sunbutter. Funny thing about making your own sun butter is how much patience you have to have to just. wait. for. it. to. happen. Maybe do yoga while making this.
- 3 Cups Sunflower Seeds – unsalted, non roasted and shelled
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Maple Syrup or Honey to taste
- Olive Oil
- Toast sunflower seeds in a frying pan on med high for 1- 2 minutes. Stir them around so they dont burn. Make sure to not overcook them or your butter will be mealy.
- When toasted, start to process in a food processor. (Mine has a large bowl or a small small bowl. Note to self – everything mixes better for this recipe if you use the large bowl).
- You will at some point have a fine powder and you will want to add oil. Dont. Just keep processing and scrape down the sides when it needs it.
- After about 7 minutes , it will barely begin to stick together and you will doubt the recipe (or your cooking skills) … Just keep processing
- When the mixture becomes pretty stuck together and crumbly, taste it and decide if you want to add a tiny bit of sweetener. Then keep processing.
- Eventually it happens, I promise. Your crumbles will become smooth crumbles, a bit like the thickest of peanut butter and you will be really excited and want to try it. Go ahead and eat some. You deserve it. Good job being patient. And now you can add a litte bit of olive oil if you want to thin it.
(I have a recipe in the works for a nut butter cup coming soon using this butter!! )
tags: alternatives to peanuts, vegan, vegetarian, peanut free, DIY nut butter, Kitchen Aid food processer, mason jar