These are based on my fabulous friend Kathy’s granola bars. I’m always searching for fast breakfasts because well… ahem… breakfast bores me to death. (yea, I’m working on that). These, on the other hand, make me excited to eat in the morning.
note: While very customizable, the big thing to remember when choosing additions to this recipe is watching the balance of sweetness. Dried fruits are super sweet – nuts, not so much.
- 1 T Coconut Oil
- 3 T Nut Butter [I used my homemade Sun Butter]
- 1 Banana, mashed
- 1 T Real Maple Syrup
- 2 Cups Oats
- 1/4 Cup Almonds, chopped fine
- 1/4 Cup Pecans, chopped fine
- 2 T Chia Seeds
- 5 Whole Dates, chopped (around 1/3 Cup)
(You’re not going to cook anything, we just need it all warmed up so its easier to mix SO we’re going to do all our mixing in a medium sized saucepan, on the lowest heat)
- Put Coconut Oil, Nut Butter, mashed Banana and Maple Syrup in the pan. Mash until its all combined.
- Add in Oats and mix well to combine.
- Add Almonds, Pecans, Chia Seeds, Dates and mix up really well.
- Push mixture into an 8×8 square glass pan and refrigerate.
- Put them in the fridge until they are ready to be cut into bars. Store in fridge.
(future ideas: apricots, honey, sunflower seeds, coconut flakes, sesame seeds, wheat germ, almond butter)
tags: Snacks, Breakfast, Healthy Bar, Breakfast on the go, DIY Granola Bar, Chia Bar, Energy bar, protein bar,