This bread is wonderful for sandwiches (not too many holes so your fixings stay put), french toast, smothered in cheese or nutella, oooo I bet it would make a great bread pudding. Just mix it up. Let it sit overnight. Cook it.
Thank you, thank you for posting this recipe Simply So Good.
(serving size: 1 Loaf)
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp. Kosher Salt (EDIT: Used to be 1 3/4 tsp but it seemed a bit too salty)
- 1/2 tsp. Instant or Rapid Rise yeast
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- In a large bowl, [I used my Kitchen Aid mixer bowl] whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add water to the dry (put on dough hook attachment) and mix on low until combined and the dough sticks together.
- Cover with a really damp dishtowel and leave out on the counter to proof for 12 – 18 hours [I did 20 hours because thats how our day was going and it worked out fine. Dont let the cloth dry out too much]
- Heat oven to 450 degrees and preheat your pot and lid for 20 minutes. [Original recipe uses those lovely Le Creuset pots. I used my 8 inch, oven proof, All Clad stock pot.]
- While pan is preheating, dump dough out onto a heavily floured surface and shape into a neat lump. Cover with a damp dishtowel and let rise until the 20 minutes is up for the pot in the oven.
- Move dough to parchment paper (it will be sticky so you can flour the top if you want) and drop into pot. Remind yourself over and over again that the pot is really H O T. You should probably leave a potholder on top of the lid to remind yourself.
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes, then remove lid and cook for 15 more to brown it up.
- Cover in homemade butter and jam…. wowza.
3.25.13 Update: I Just made a Whole Wheat Flax Seed Version of this which was great. I might add honey next time because while its really nice and nutty tasting, I’d like it to be a tiny bit sweet. The directions are the same but heres the ingredient list:
- 2 Cups White Flour
- 1 Cup Wheat Flour
- 1/4 Cup Toasted Flax Seeds
- 1 3/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Yeast
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
tags: Saturday food, Dinner, Appetizer, Lunch, Soup Bread, Sandwich Bread, Dip, Quick Bread, Yeast Bread