These cookies healed my appendix! Nope. Thats not true. I still need to have surgery next week BUT i feel way better about it because now these cookies exist. (The aforementioned useless organ is also the reason I haven’t been cooking or posting recipes or enjoying eating for the past month. Hmph.)
So recently I bought this almond meal at Trader Joes. I didn’t have any sort of plan for it, but i thought it might be a good experiment. Good move erin. And honestly, theres not many gluten free baked goods that i’m crazy about (besides my friend Lydia’s up and coming cookie biz which I’ll tell you about when it launches).
(serving: 12 – 15 cookies)
- 1¼ Cups Trader Joes Almond Meal
- ¼ Cup Chopped Dark Chocolate
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Almonds
- ½ Cup Shredded Unsweetened Coconut [I only had sweetened but i used it and it was great]
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ⅓ Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon Almond Extract (alcohol free)
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together almond meal, baking powder, dark chocolate, sugar and coconut.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg until uniform in color and bigger in volume.
- Whisk in the melted coconut oil and almond extract, then add to dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls, place on baking sheet with 1-1/2 inch space in between each. Press down slightly to flatten a bit.
- Bake until edges begin to brown, 7-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool before serving.