This is a dense and perfect shortcake. It’s just a little bit sweet, making for a simple and lovely strawberry shortcake. (sometimes I eat it for breakfast. Ok. I always eat it for breakfast when its in the fridge). It’s my Grandma Leona’s recipe and as I found out tonight, and the last 3 times I’ve made this, if you use any mixers other than your hands, it wont come out right. (ie. too fluffy) So dig in people and get ready to cook vintage.
- 2.5 Cups Flour
- 2.5 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 T Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 Cup Milk (I’ve used cows milk or coconut milk – no difference for me)
- 2 T Butter
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Blend together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl mix together Egg and Milk.
- Cut 2 heaping Tablespoons of Butter into pieces and drop into the dry ingredients. Knead it into the flour with your fingers until you cant find anymore lumps.
- Slowly add wet to dry, mixing until combined.
- Oil a 9″ baking dish and put the dough in. Smoosh it down if it doesn’t settle by itself.
- Cook for about 20 – 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Serve with any kind of fruit and cream!