A refreshing salad that is super quick to put together but still looks really fancy. A couple things are key with this salad:
1) The citrus has to be as sweet
2) The fennel has to be shaved thin.
If you’ve got both, perfection ensues. If not, its still worth making, just not as good as it can be .
(makes a small bowl of salad for 2-3 people.)
- 1 Large Orange
- 1 Large Grapefruit
- 1 Bulb Fennel – Shaved on a mandolin – reserve some of the fronds for decoration
- 1 Avocado, sliced in wedges
- 1/8 C Olive Oil
- 2 T Rice Vinegar
- 1 T Honey (may need more depending on sweetness of citrus)
- Fresh cracked Black Pepper
- Peel the orange and the grapefruit. Slice in rounds and then separate in to small pieces. Put in bowl
- Shave the Fennel and toss with citrus
- Cut Avocado into wedges and toss with citrus.
- In a separate bowl, combine the Olive Oil, Rice Vinegar and Honey and mix until emulsified. Pour over salad. Add cracked pepper on top and toss lightly to coat.
- This one looks really pretty served on a platter, especially if you leave some of the citrus rounds whole for decoration. You may also want to use some of the Fennel fronds for color as well.