A simple staple pie crust recipe from my friend Adria. It’s just the single crust so double it as needed.
(makes 1 crust)
- 1.5 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/8 tsp. Baking Powder
- 8T Unsalted Butter, chopped into pieces
- 2 T Shortening (optional – makes for a flakier crust.)
- 2-4 T Ice Water (for real – put a piece of ice in the water)
- Put all the dry ingredients in a food processor and pulse the butter and shortening in until pea size balls appear.
- Add water a Tablespoon at a time until it starts to comes together. (If you let it roll into a ball in your machine, you’ve mixed too long.)
- Dump mixture out onto a pastry cloth (or clean surface) and press together into a ball, put it in a covered dish and put it in the fridge for 1 hour.
- After the hour is up, flour your surface, roll it out and commence with the pie making.