We’ve just started to venture into the world of homemade pastas. Ive tried a couple recipes but i think this one below was our favorite. Theres another recipe over at Smitten Kitchen that I have tried before but I don’t remember how it came out so I’ll have to try it again and update this.
Note to self: that Smitten Kitchen one uses a ton of egg yolks so its a great one to make after making a birthday cake that requires lots of egg whites.
- 2 Cups Semolina Flour
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 Large Eggs, Beaten
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Cold Water
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment mix the wet ingredients together.
- In another bowl, mix the dry ingredients.
- Switch out the paddle attachment for the dough hook and then begin to add the dry to wet. Knead for 2-3 minutes in the mixer until a dough ball forms.
- Remove from bowl and hand knead on pastry cloth or cutting board for 2-3 min until elastic. Form into a ball.
- Let dough rest in plastic wrap in fridge for 1 hour. (Note to self: Dont skip this)
- Remove from fridge and let rest for 15
- Cut dough ball into 8 slices and flatten enough to get into machine. Roll it through each level until you get to desired level (we like 6 or 7)
- Lay out pasta in small nests on a cookie sheet.
- Cook a couple nests at a time. Pasta cooks in 4 min in boiling realllly salted water (ocean salty)
Flour Flour FLOUR while you’re cranking it through the machine and the cutter will work better.