[PIC to come]
An alternative to Zucchini Bread…. Zucchini Soup!
- 2 Pounds fresh Zucchini, cut into pieces
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- ¼ Cup Half & Half
- ½ Cup (or more) Broth (Chicken or Vegetable)
- Prepare a large pot of boiling water and add the zucchini pieces. Boil them for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the zucchini in a colander and set it aside. Return the empty pot to the stove. Add the butter to the pot and allow it to melt over medium heat. When the butter is hot, sauté the onions until they are tender and just beginning to brown.
- Add the zucchini and broth to the sautéed onions and stir to combine.
- Put the lid on the pot and cook for 20 minutes, until everything is really soft. After 20 min, take the lid off and cook for about 10 more to concentrate the flavor and get rid of some of the liquid.
- When finished cooking, turn the soup off and let cool a bit, then blend until smooth.
- At the end, add the Half & Half and serve warm.
I heart zucchini bread. One of the best days of every summer is the day when I remember that I can make really yummy bread with all that extra zucchini (instead of yet another vegetarian side dish). I mean, I love vegetables but I REALLY love breakfast breads.
- 3 Cups all-purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 3 teaspoons ground Cinnamon
- 3 Eggs
- 3/4 Cups Vegetable Oil
- 1 .5 Cups Sugar (Note to self: This is the perfect amount. Don’t alter it.)
- 3 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 C grated Zucchini
- 1 C chopped Walnuts
- Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Sift flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool. (yea, right.)